Can wisdom tooth removal cause swollen face? Yes it can. Learn how to treat swelling from wisdom tooth extraction the mouth care tech way.
Swelling is one of the wisdom tooth extraction emergency experienced when you remove your wisdom tooth (aka wisdom tooth extraction). This swelling may be caused by infection after wisdom tooth extraction.
Before I continue, here are lists of frequently asked questions about wisdom tooth and their answers.
Some frequently ask questions about wisdom tooth and answers.
PS: These answers are based on interactive experiences and thorough research about wisdom tooth.
What is a wisdom tooth?
For the novice in the house, according to webmd, Wisdom teeth as popular called are the third and final set of molars that most people get in their late teens or early twenties.
Sometimes these wisdom teeth can be a valuable asset to the mouth when healthy and properly aligned, but on regular cases, they are not aligned properly and may require removal and this may result to swelling from wisdom tooth extraction.
When wisdom teeth are arranged wrongly, they may position themselves horizontally, be sloping toward or away from the preceding or second molars, or be slanting inward or outward.
Poor alignment of wisdom teeth can either crowd or damage your adjacent teeth, the jawbone, or even nerves around the area.
What is wisdom tooth extraction?
Wisdom tooth surgery or extraction as the case may be is the act of removing your wisdom teeth. This may involve incisions into the gums if the wisdom tooth is underneath the gums and embedded in the jawbone.
However, if the wisdom tooth fully breaks through the gum, then it can be extracted as easily as any other tooth.
If the wisdom tooth is embedded in the jawbones as the case maybe, then the teeth is extracted in small sections until they are fully removed.
The reason for this method is to reduce the amount of bones to be removed in order to pull out the wisdom tooth.
What causes swollen face after my wisdom tooth removal?
What causes of swelling from wisdom tooth extraction is this, swollen face occurs most times after wisdom tooth extraction because they are enclosed within the soft tissue around your gum and also, the jawbone partially breaks through the gum.
Partial eruption of the wisdom teeth allows an opening for bacteria to enter around the tooth and cause an infection, which results in pain, headaches, swelling, and general illness.
How to treat swelling from wisdom tooth extraction
After wisdom teeth extraction, this is how to treat swelling from wisdom tooth extraction. This should be done after the surgery. kindly read
Best way to reduce swelling after wisdom tooth extraction.
- Gently roll 1-3 soft pieces of gauze together and place directly over the affected area and keep in place for like 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bite down firmly but gently on the rolled gauze pads. After this, the gauze pad should be removed carefully and discarded.
- It is normal for the area to bleed off after the extraction, so always replace the gauze pad if needed during this time.
- Stay away from vigorous mouth rinsing or touching the wound area after the wisdom tooth surgery. Else, this may set off bleeding by disrupting the wound or newly formed blood clot.
- Always take the prescribed pain medications as soon as possible after you eat so that the medications begin working before lack of sensation on the affected area goes off.
- Take a time off from work and shun some rigorous activities for 2-3 days after the day of the teeth extraction. After which you can resume your normal activity when you feel comfortable or as directed by your dentist.
- Do not drink hot fluids or eat hot food the first day after surgery. You are advised to eat soft food for the first several days is recommended as it can be chewed and swallowed easily.
- Place ice packs to the sides of your face where surgery was performed to reduce swelling.
Recommend for you:
Is it normal to have bad breath after wisdom teeth extraction?
You need to not that it is normal to experience bad breath after wisdom teeth extraction. Normally, after a teeth extraction, the healing process begins when the blood around the affected area forms a clot.
These clots may cause a slight change in your normal breath. However, if the bad breath continues for more than 4 to 5 days after extraction, then you have to learn how to remove bad breath after tooth extraction.
I still feel pain after wisdom teeth removal for 7 days, what do I do?
Although it is normal to have pain and swelling from wisdom tooth extraction, however, if the pain continues after 7 days of removal, kindly visit your dentist ASAP.
Not only will your dentist help you with solutions for the pain, he will also treat the swelling from the wisdom teeth extraction.
Is smoking after wisdom teeth removal advised?
Generally, smoking is not good for the health. It causes teeth discoloration, dry mouth, bad breath and as well, hole in gums.
Considering this, it is advised you stay away from smoking after wisdom removal.
I am having migraine after wisdom tooth extraction, what do I do?
Having a slight headache after wisdom tooth extraction is normal for the first two days and can be controlled by taking pain killers but if the headache becomes severe, it is no longer normal for you to take pain killers, visit your dentist ASAP.
The best product to cure swelling from wisdom tooth extraction
If you are looking for the best product to treat swelling from wisdom tooth extraction, then I advise you to check reviews on Amazon.com or preferably consult your dentist.
Quick DIY medication after wisdom tooth extraction
Here is some basic DIY medications to apply after a successful wisdom tooth extraction to abate pains and swellings after the removal.
- Use warm water mixed with little salt as mouthwash.
- Always place some pack ice to the affected area to reduce the swelling
- Do not chew anything within the period of extraction.
- Take hot herbal teas as it aids the healing process faster
- Change the gauze every 30 – 45 minutes to reduce bleeding
- For the pains, if you have been given a prescription, begin taking the medication as soon as you arrive home and settled
- Drink fluids like water regularly, do not use straw
- Begin rinsing your mouth 3 – 6 times daily to keep your mouth clean two days after the surgery.
- Discoloration of the teeth may occur due to the blood linings forming; however you can remove this discoloration by taking warm water or hot tea.
- Stay away from smoking tobacco
- Do not chew bubble gums.
I believe that from this article, you have learnt how to treat swelling from wisdom tooth extraction.
From the tips above, you can comfortable control bleeding from the tooth as well as the pains.
If this article is helpful, kindly share to your friends.
PS: This post doe not in any way discourage you from contacting your dentist first. The consumption of this article is strictly at your own discretion.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.