Learn how to properly brush your teeth with this step by step guide. Without being told, you should know that brushing your teeth is an essential part of your mouth care.
Why should I brush my teeth?
Like seriously? In order to have a fresher breath every morning and evening, in order to showcase that bright smile every now and then, you need to practice the proper way of brushing your teeth.
When you don’t know how to properly brush your teeth, you tend to drift into issues like bad breath, dental plaque and teeth discoloration.
This is very bad for an adult or a teenager. For a broader and brighter smile, you need to at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
Now, brushing your teeth correctly will help prevent tooth decay and tooth plaque.
It is strongly advised that you:
- Change your toothbrush every 2 -3 months of heavy usage
- Use a good fluoride toothpaste generally recommended by your dentist
- Always use soft-bristled brush to avoid tooth abrasion.
- Brush at most 3 times a day or at least 2 times a day
- You don’t have to brush for too long
- Always for the right tooth brushing steps
Brushing your teeth daily, gives you the chance to also clean your tongue because, you cannot brush your teeth correctly by neglecting the tongue.
Brushing your teeth, keeps you safe from dental wipes, dental caries and other medical issues associated with teeth. Little wonder it is advised you brush 3 times day after each meal.
Listen to this..
Before I show you how to properly brush your teeth step by step, I would want to tell you from some salient tips on how to brush your teeth correctly to avoid dental injuries.
9 Important tips on how to clean your teeth correctly
- Get the right tooth brush just for your teeth
There is this popular saying that “a bad workman always blames his work tools”. In order to know how to clean your teeth correctly, it is important you know that the kind of tooth brush you use plays its own part.
There are two types of toothbrushes
- The electric toothbrushes
- The Manuel toothbrushes
It is advised you use the manual toothbrush if you are not lazy (I’m just kidding). Use the manual toothbrush in the mornings while you use the electric toothbrush at nights (that is if you have one) else, use the manual toothbrush for both morning and night.
Experts had advised you run away from brushes with hard bristles. They advise you use a soft bristled brush.
Why? Because the hardness of your brush doe not determine how clean or bright your teeth can become.
Secondly, most hard brushes causes gum injuries and tooth abrasiveness.
Therefore, get the right tooth brush (soft brush) and get your teeth sparkling ones again.
- Use the right toothpaste
You don’t want to use the wrong toothpaste for your teeth do you? Good toothpaste does not only help remove plaque, but it also helps strengthen tooth enamel.
It’s important to note that fluoride toothpaste is not meant to be swallowed, as taking too much can have serious health consequences
- Use the right stroke
One of the important tips on how to clean your teeth correctly positioning your tooth brush at an angle of 45 degrees, gently going forth and backwards is the right stroke for brushing.
If you experience pains while brushing as a result of a sensitive tooth, try brushing more gently while making a circle around your teeth.
- Always floss your teeth daily
To floss your teeth or simply put flossing is another way to remove debris from your teeth other than brushing.
Here, you use something a thin-thread like material to remove debris between the spaces on your tooth. You are to also rinse your mouth with mouthwashes after flossing because it comes with great benefits.
- Make it a habit to brush your teeth often
This is very important, you need to draw out a frequent brushing schedule and stick to it.
This will help keep your breath and tooth bacteria in constant check.
- Reduce the time frame you Brush?
You don’t have to brush for 10 minutes before you feel it is okay. Kindly reduce your brushing time to at least 2 minutes.
- Eat a balanced diet and reduce intake of sugary foods.
Avoid constant intake sugary foods as they tend to attract more bacteria to your tooth cavity.
- Always rinse your toothbrush
You should always rinse your toothbrush after brush and put it a safe dry place. Do not expose your toothbrush to bacteria.
- Always visit your dentist regularly for prevention, treatment and advice
Endeavor to pay your dentist a visit once in a while to run checks and seek professional medical advice.
How to properly brush your teeth the step by step guide
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums. Aim the toothbrush at a 45 degree angle towards the gum line
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces, and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- To properly clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, gently tilt the brush upwards and make several up-and-down strokes and also Use a light back and forth motion on the chewing surfaces.
- Spit out the toothpaste after brushing, you do not have need to vigorously rinse, as the little amount of fluoridated toothpaste left in your mouth after spitting continues to protect against tooth decay and gives you that fresh breath
- PS: Electric toothbrushes also do a good job of cleaning teeth
Brushing your teeth properly should not only be done because of getting a fresher mouth odor or an elaborate smile or self confidence.
Rather, it should be done for your overall health. When you get to know how to properly brush your teeth, you will find out the proper techniques to remove dental plaque (thin bacteria that build up and stick to your teeth).
You will also know how to avoid tooth abrasion, gum diseases and the rest.
As funny as it may sound, most people does not know how to effectively brush their teeth. However, that does not mean they have been doing the wrong thing, rather they haven’t been informed properly.
On how to properly brush your teeth, you need to brush at least twice everyday (morning and night). This will help deal with both tooth problems and mouth problems.
With these step by step tutorials on how to effectively clean your teeth, you can worry less by using mouthwashes.
For example some, it is advised that you use non alcoholic mouthwash because they can also remove bacteria stuck in your tooth, giving you that fresh breadth you deserve.
I hope this article was a great help to you. If yes, kindly drop your comments and questions I the comment box and do not fail to share.