Little things you ignore can be what you need for the perfect breakthrough, this is why I want to show you How to Make Lip Balm at Home with Natural Ingredients anytime and any day.
I don’t know for you, but I will always choose natural against artificial, for beauty products, organic recipes have always proven to be more effective and long-lasting compared to artificial ones.
in this post, I will show you how to make chemical-free lip balms with beeswax, shea butter, essential oils and original coconut oil.
Some may ask, why make a lip balm when I can always purchase it for cheap?
Well, different strokes for different folks. it would do you no harm if you learn how to manufacture your own lip balm without the stress of battling chemicals costs. One thing I also love about homemade lip balm is that it can be customized the way you like, so you can always make the perfect blend of lip balm you desire.
that being said, in this DIY guide on how to make a lip balm with natural ingredients, we’ll be using a combination of beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter, almond, coconut and jojoba oils. However, to cut down on the wax, we won’t be using too much beeswax although they seriously rich and nourishing oils for lips.
what we are going to make here will be the best organic lip balm recipe you’ll ever make by yourself. the good thing is that you will be able to apply them anytime or day.
What are the natural ingredients for Lip Balm?
To make this lip balm, you will need the ingredients below… trust me, they’re all organic and can be gotten easily from amazon.com
- Coconut Oil (very effective in making homemade coconut oil lip balm)
- Shea butter
- Essential oils
- Cocoa butter
- Almond oil
- Jojoba oil
- Vitamin E
What essential oils are good for homemade lip balm?
When it comes to selecting essential oils for lip balms, there are so many of them especially cinnamon oils and citrus oil, however, these essential oils are not too good with sunlight and heat. Although They are one of my favourite essential oils in homemade lip balm recipes, you should be cautious with their usage if you have sensitive lips.
Essential oil are plants extracts from herbs that are very medicinal in reducing stress, treating anxiety and depression and treating skin problems. Because of its natural benefits, it is one of the ingredients used in making lip balms.
This is a list of my best essential oils for a lip balm with their own unique smell and potential health benefits.
- Peppermint essential oil
- Spearmint essential oil
- Vanilla essential oil
- Grapefruit and cinnamon oils
Homemade lip balm recipe with measurement
- Mixing bowl
- 1 teaspoon beeswax
- 2 teaspoon shea butter
- 1 teaspoon cocoa butter
- 1 teaspoon almond oil
- 1 teaspoon jojoba oil
- 5 drops vitamin E
- 12-18 drops essential oil (any essential oil of your choice)
- Empty containers or tubes
How to Make Lip Balm at Home with Natural Ingredients
- Get all your ingredients ready e.g beeswax, shea butter and cocoa butter
- Measure them and put in the in a pot or double boiler
- Gradually dissolve the butters and waxes over low heat in your double boiler
- Stir the butters and waxes until they mix properly.
- Add the almond oil and jojoba oil and continue to stir
- Remove from heat and add Vitamin E and essential oils
- Allow to cool down a bit
- Pour into lip balm bottles or tubes
- Allow the recipes to cool completely
With this method, you can make as many lip balms as you want at home without spending more.
How to make lip balm with coconut oil
what you’ll need to make the perfect homemade lip balm with coconut oil
- Cold pressed and unrefined organic coconut oil
- Vitamin E oil (very important)
- One or more essential oils e.g Jojoba oil, grapefruit, avocado etc, whichever you choose is okay
- A clean ceramic or metallic bowl and spoon for mixing
- A clean empty container
Step by step guide to make yourself a lip balm with coconut oil
- make sure your containers are clean and free from dirt
- Gather your ingredients together into the clean bowl and fill it up with the coconut oil
- Add your favourite colour (you can take a slice of a pink lipstick you are not using to make your coconut oil lip balm pink)
- To mix the ingredients properly, microwave it for 10 – 15 seconds to dissolve the coconut oil and the lipstick colour. if you are not satisfied with the colour saturation, you can add more colours.
- Using your spoon, stir until they mix correctly.
- Pour into your container or tube and allow to cool, you can place them in your fridge to cool quickly and form a wax.
- For better use, always keep your coconut oil lip balm at room temperature.
Homemade lip balm with coconut oil is very easy and fun and the best part is that you can use this lip balm on your kids without side effects.