Are you having problems with gum recession? Do you know which natural mouthwashes are the best to use for helping to manage gum recession? Although receding gums may sound trivial, it should not be ignored at all costs, because it may be a sign of an underlying gum infection or disease or other problem you may not be aware of.
Every bottle of mouthwash on the market is manufactured for different purposes. For example, it was shown that the topical application of turmeric gel and 0.2% chlorhexidine gluconate gel can help in the prevention of gingivitis (1). There are natural mouthwashes that are free from alcohol; there are mouthwashes that contain alcohol. And then there are mouthwashes with a specific purpose like mouthwashes for bad breath or mouthwashes for detoxification for a saliva drug test.
What differentiates these mouthwashes from one another are their ingredients and purpose. It’s important to understand this, because you wouldn’t use a mouthwash meant for bad breath to try cure your receding gums. Hence this is why I have compiled a list of the best mouthwashes for receding gums.
What do you stand to gain from this article?
- You’ll be educated and understand what gum recession is all about.
- You’ll receive objective and unbiased reviews of the best mouthwashes for receding gums
- You’ll receive a guide on how to use these mouthwashes for gum recession
- We’ll answer some Receding Gum FAQs
Top Editorial Picks: Mouthwashes for Receding Gums
|Category||Why||Where do I buy?|
|Best Dentist Recommended Brand|
SmartMouth Clinical DDS Oral Rinse for Bad Breath, Gingivitis and Gum Disease
|Best for Budget|
|Best for Bad Breath|
|Best Pulling Oil|
|Best Overall for United Kingdom|
Corso Daily Alcohol Free Mouthwash
Let’s go into details about all our top picks…
10 Best Mouthwash for Receding Gums (Tested and Trusted)
All the mouthwashes listed below are among the best natural mouthwashes for receding gums, crafted from the best natural ingredients to minimise any risk of any side effects.
- Gum Disease Help! Happy Teeth & Gum KIT – Helps Gum Recession (check price on Amazon)
- Dental Herb Company Tooth & Gums Tonic (18 oz.) Mouthwash (check price on Amazon)
- GoodBye Gum Disease – Organic Home Remedy for Oral Gum Disease (check price on Amazon)
- Crest Gum Care Mouthwash, Cool Wintergreen, 16.9 fl oz. (check price on Amazon)
- GuruNanda Oil Pulling Oil, Natural Mouthwash (check price on Amazon)
- Listerine Total Care Anticavity Mouthwash, 6 Benefit Fluoride Mouthwash for Bad Breath and Enamel Strength. (check price on Amazon)
- SmartMouth Clinical DDS Oral Rinse for Bad Breath, Gingivitis and Gum Disease (check price on Amazon)
- The Ultimate Gum Solution – Extra Strength Formula, Natural Herbal Mouthwash – May Help Relieve Canker Sores, Swollen Gums, Bad Breath, Tooth Aches – Gum Care Wash, Protects Against Plaque & Tartar (check price on Amazon)
- OraWellness Healthy Mouth Blend Tooth Oil, Organic Toothpaste & Mouthwash Alternative (check price on Amazon)
- Orarestore – Natural Bad Breath Treatment (check price on Amazon)
1. Gum Disease Help! Happy Teeth & Gum Kit – Helps Gum Recession
This combination of tooth powder and healthy mouthwash is highly effective in correcting oral imbalances and and claims to getting gums to grow back.
- Tastes good and helps clean teeth and gums effectively.
- Formulated to help prevent plaque formation and decay, which is the basis of most oral care problems.
- ONLY organic, nonGMO, natural ingredients are used
- Taste of powder may not appeal to everyone
- Some find powder abrasive
2. Dental Herb Company Tooth & Gums Tonic
The Dental Herb Company Tonic uses a blend of essential oils and herbs to reduce bacteria and assist in maintaining the health of your gums and teeth.
- Produced from herbs organically,
- Helps manage gum diseases and gum recession
- Eliminates bad breath reduces and prevents bleeding and inflamed gums
- Relieves dry mouth and mouth sores.
- All natural, alcohol free, gluten free, vegan, non-GMO
- Some find the taste too strong
- Caution when canker sores are present
3. Goodbye Gum Disease – Organic Home Remedy for Oral Gum Disease
Goodbye gum disease is an organic home remedy for oral gum disease which targets the bacteria that causes plaque build up and helps repair receded gums.
- 100% pure and natural – contains clove essential oils for oral care and effective natural treatment for gingivitis.
- Fast Acting
- Builds Stronger Gums
- Neem and clove oils help with receding gums
- Taste can be slimy and strong
4. Crest Gum Care Mouthwash, Cool Wintergreen, 16.9 FL Oz
Crest gum care mouthwash is not only good for treating receding gums. it also neutralizes plaque germs around the gum line, reduces early signs of gum disease, including bleeding gums and kills bacteria that cause plaque.
- Wintergreen flavor for refreshing breath
- Good for treating receding gums
- Neutralizes plaque germs around the gum line
- Reduces early signs of gum disease, including bleeding gums
- Kills bacteria that cause plaque, gingivitis, and bad breath
- Alcohol Free Mouthwash
- Taste is unfavorable for some
- Bottle is smaller than other brands, but can be helpful for travelling light
5. Gurunada Oil – Pulling Oil Natural Mouthwash
Gurunanda Oil pulling natural mouthwash promotes healthy weight management, better breath, healthier teeth and gums, thicker and more lustrous hair, and radiant skin.
It is 100% alcohol-free and contains no artificial flavors or colors. Produced from the following natural ingredients is capable of treating your gum issues once and for all.
- Fluoride Free and Preservative Free
- 100% alcohol-free
- Contains no artificial flavors or colors.
- Produced from the following natural ingredients is capable of treating your gum issues once and for all.
- No signs of teeth whitening
6. Listerine Total Care Anticavity Mouthwash
Listerine anticavity mouthwash is one of the most popular mouthwash for receding gums. It greatly improves oral health by helping to prevent cavities, strengthening teeth, and leaving a refreshing, clean feeling you can taste
- Tried and tested reputable brand
- Fluoride-rich mouthwash offers six benefits:
- Kill germs that cause bad breath
- Strengthen teeth
- Help prevent cavities
- Restore enamel
- Clean your mouth
- Freshen your breath.
- Some find taste strong
7. SmartMouth Clinical DDS Oral Rinse for Bad Breath, Gingivitis and Gum Disease
This dentist created, alcohol free mouthwash is designed to help prevent receding gums, block bad breath and reduce gingivitis and bleeding gums. This patented solution has proven itself with many customers religiously using it daily.
- Helps prevent bleeding gums & gingivitis using zinc ion technology
- Eliminate & prevent bad breath or halitosis for 12 hours with every rinse.
- Alcohol free – No burning sensation
- Pleasant, minty taste and no lingering aftertaste
- Provides protection against receding gums.
- Care needs to be taken when pouring out mouthwash
8. The Ultimate Gum Solution – Extra Strength Natural Herbal Mouthwash
This tiny bottle is a herbal mouthwash designed to provide a natural source of relief from gum pains and eliminate common bacteria that causes issues such as receding gums.
- Fight gum degeneration and enjoy relief from discomfort. This herbal mouth wash is infused with vitamins and minerals that may help address bleeding, swollen, or receding gums.
- This oral gum care solution is made to help prevent plaque and tartar buildup, and help soothe pain caused by toothaches
- Designed to help reduce odor-causing substances in your mouth, giving you fresher breath.
- All-natural Ingredients
- May cause stains on teeth
9. OraWellness Healthy Mouth Blend Tooth Oil, Organic Toothpaste & Mouthwash Alternative
Orawellness Healthy Mouth Blend is an organic toothpaste and mouthwash that has multiple ways to use it including brushing, flossing, swishing (diluted) and massaging on teeth or gums. It helps treat a number of conditions including bleeding gums and plaque buildup.
- All natural organic ingredients
- Can be used for toothaches, abscess, bad breath treatment, sensitive, bleeding and receding gums and to repair and restore wellness and balance to your mouth for healthy, strong teeth and gums
- Made from organic essential oils
- Non-toxic, Organic ingredients, Fluoride-free, SLS free, Gluten free, Vegan friendly. Safe for everyday use.
- Re-mineralizes teeth to reverse tooth decay, infection and sensitivity
- Strong taste for some
10. OraRestore – Natural Bad Breath Treatment
This is a powerful blend of essential oils that targets bacterial overgrowth on tongue, teeth and gums which is one of the causes of receding gums
- Helps to stop bad breath, resulting in healthier gums and fresher breath! It also battles receding gums and plaque build-up.
- Use as a mouthwash, toothpaste or on your gums after eating. Please know that it is a concentrated formula and so a little goes a long way.
- OraRestore is 100% FREE of any additives, sugar, gluten and lactose and IS VEGAN.
- 100% Made in the USA
- Tricky to pour from bottle
Mouthwash Buying Guide for Receding Gums
What are Receding Gums?
Gum recession occurs when your gums shrink down from your teeth, exposing the root of your teeth. This can increase the risk for you to experience tooth sensitivity, and it will also cause your tooth to look longer than normal or feel a cut where your gum meets your tooth. An example of receding gums can be seen below where the gums have peeled away from the tooth, causing more of the root to be exposed. Although a lot of people may think that receding gums is a trivial matter, it should NOT be ignored.
Best Method To Treat Receding Gums Using Mouthwash
Since you have decided on searching for the best mouthwash for receding gums, the next thing on your mind is ‘how do I use mouthwash to treat receding gums’?
To treat gum recession, follow this guide below
- Use a soft-bristled brush: Constant and long term use of a hard or medium bristled toothbrush can damage your tooth enamel thereby exposing your teeth to more risk of gum recession. ONLY use a manual soft-bristled manual brush or an electric toothbrush
- Use a toothpaste made for receding gums: There are specific toothpastes for receding gums available. You don’t just brush using any toothpaste; you can get this specialized toothpaste and use them to brush your teeth.
- Use floss/flossettes/interdental brushes: It is important to understand that your toothbrush can’t get into the gaps between your teeth, so you NEED to use cleaning aides to clean in between the gaps of your teeth to keep the gums healthy and prevent receding gums. DO NOT use toothpicks (see our last point below)
- Swish and rinse your mouth with the mouthwash: After brushing and rinsing your mouth with clean water, gently swish your mouth with the mouthwash for 2 – 3 minutes.
Avoid picking your teeth and gums with sharp objects: This one is self-explanatory, avoid this at all cost because it can injure your gums. This includes avoiding toothpicks, your fingernails or even knives because they will damage your gums quite quickly and irreversibly.
What ingredients do I want to look for in the mouthwash to address receding gums?
The 2 best natural ways to clean your teeth in preventing receding gums is to BRUSH twice a day and FLOSS daily. When it comes to specific ingredients to look for it is important to do your research and know what different ingredients do. Below is a quick summary of different ingredients available in mouthwashes that have scientifically been shown to help address receding gums and gum disease (you do not need all of them).
- Oil pulling – A 2009 study showed that oil pulling can help in the reduction of plaque in people with gingivitis. (2)
- Eucalyptus oil – A 2008 study showed eucalyptus oil can be an anti-inflammatory germicide that may treat receding gums and stimulate the growth of new gum tissue (3)
- Salt -A 2016 study showed that salt rinses could be effective for an antibacterial agent and for soothing gum inflammation (4)
- Green tea – A 2009 study showed that drinking green tea can help promote healthy teeth and gums (5)
- Peppermint essential oil – A 2013 study showed that peppermint oil can be effective in preventing the growth of disease-causing microorganisms in the mouth (6)
- Aloe vera – A 2009 study showed that medicinal-grade aloe vera gel can promote gum health of inflamed gums (7)
- Septilin – A 2014 study showed that taking Septilin improves periodontal treatment outcomes. (8)
- Omega-3 fatty acids – A 2014 study showed that omega-3 fatty acids can reduce gum inflammation and improve gum attachment (9)
- Tea tree essential oil – A 2013 study showed that tea tree oil can prevent the growth of disease-causing microorganisms in the mouth (10)
- Turmeric gel – A 2015 study showed that turmeric gel could possibly prevent plaque and gingivitis and gum recession (11)
- Thyme essential oil – A 2013 study showed that thyme oil can prevent the growth of disease-causing microorganisms in the mouth (12)
- Fluoride – While fluoride doesn’t directly prevent gum recession, it has strongly been shown that it prevents tooth decay with different studies showing between a 5-50% reduction in decay (13)
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make your receding gums grow back?
Unfortunately, the truth is that gums that have receded DO NOT grow back. Once it is gone, it’s gone. You can definitely stop the gum recession from getting worse by the following steps
- Brush twice daily and floss daily
- Use mouthwash daily to prevent receding gums
- Visit the dentist or hygienist regularly for regular check up and dental clean maintenance of the teeth and gums
If you wanted to grow your receding gums back, you will need to see a dentist or dental specialist to see if you can receive gum grafting surgery to grow your gums back.
How can I prevent gum recession?
To prevent gum recession, try using a soft bristled toothbrush, brush gently on your gums, floss regularly, and check if you have bleeding gums. There are also some general principles to follow:
- Use a soft-bristled brush: Only use a soft bristled manual or electric toothbrush. Constant and long term use of a hard or medium bristled toothbrush can damage your tooth enamel or gumline and thereby exposing your teeth to more risk of gum recession.
- Gently brush into your gumline: Don’t just brush your teeth. Remember to angle your toothbrush bristles into the gumline to gently massage the gums. This sweeps the plaque out from the gumline to keep the gums healthy and prevent gum recession
- Use floss/flossettes/interdental brushes: You NEED to use cleaning aides to clean in between the gaps of your teeth to keep the gums healthy and prevent receding gums. DO NOT use toothpicks (see our last point below)
- Check if there is bleeding on your gums: Bleeding gums is NOT because you brushed or flossed too hard. It’s because the plaque attracts germs and then the body reacts to the germs by sending blood there. What you should do is look in the mirror at where the bleeding spots are and brush and floss more diligently in those bleeding areas. After a few days, this will make the gums healthier and stronger, preventing gum recession.
- Avoid picking your teeth and gums with sharp objects: This includes avoiding toothpicks, your fingernails or even knives because they will cause gum recession quite quickly and irreversibly.
How do I tell if I have receding gums?
To check if you have receding gums, check if you have bleeding gums, sensitive teeth, bad breath, swollen gums, and plaque and tartar build up.
Bleeding gums are an indication of plaque, tartar and bacterial build up. Bleeding gums doesn’t mean you’ll have receding gums, but it can be an early sign of gingivitis and periodontitis (gum disease) which can lead to receding gums. Brush carefully in the bleeding gum areas to help prevent any permanent damage.
Sensitive teeth can be a telltale sign of receding gums because it can indicate that the receding gums have exposed the root of the teeth. The roots of the teeth are made from a dentine structure which contain porous dentinal tubules and these tubules can be sensitive to air or hot, cold, sweet, sour foods and drinks. Use sensitive toothpastes to help manage sensitive teeth.
Bad breath is an indication of an overgrowth of bad bacteria or plaque and this can often lead to gum recession if it becomes a chronic problem. Brush and floss well to prevent bad breath and even consider using antibacterial mouthrinses.
Wobbly teeth are an indication of severe gum disease and gum recession would be quite extensive in these situations. It would be wise to see a dentist to seek professional help.
Swollen gums can be an indication of gum disease and infection or a tooth infection. If it is a gum infection, it can lead to gum recession and having the gums professionally cleaned by a dentist or hygienist will be highly beneficial.
Plaque and Tartar Build Up
Plaque and Tartar build up are common causes for gum recession. The plaque and tartar attract bacteria and germs and this then leads to damage to the gums and bones which then results in receding gums. Brush and floss regularly and carefully to prevent plaque build up. If there is tartar build up then you will require a professional dental clean from a dentist or hygienist.
Can mouthwash get rid of gum disease?
Mouthwash can help to reduce the bacterial load inside the mouth and this can help to control or stop gum disease. Please note that mouthwashes do not replace brushing and flossing. It is important to know that at the end of the day, good oral hygiene habits and regular dental visits are important to prevent gum disease and gum recession from occurring. We don’t simply want to react to the problem, we want to prevent it altogether.
Does Corsodyl stop receding gums?
Corsodyl can stop receding gums but it does not cause the gums to grow back. Even on the official Corsodyl website, they say that it is a fact that receding gums do NOT grow back. Brushing regularly and using Corsodyl can help to prevent receding gums.