Looking to pass a saliva drug test for work purposes? Skeptical about whether these detox mouthwashes will work? Firstly, we want to acknowledge the importance of safe and toxic-free systems to pass mouth swab drug tests. So the products we talk about here must meet that criteria.
Did you know, it is estimated that nearly 8 out of 10 employers perform some form of drug screening on their workforce (1), with the transportation industry having one of the highest screening rates at 98%?
The most common drug tests include urine sampling, breath alcohol and saliva testing. According to the Drug and Alcohol Testing Industry Association, urine tests are the most common in testing for illicit drugs while breath tests are most common for alcohol (2).
Saliva drug test and mouth swabs are easy to conduct and as a result it is a very common approach for drug testing. Employers generally use saliva tests to screen for THC inside the mouth. THC stands for tetrahydrocannabinol is the chemical responsible for most of marijuana’s psychological effects.
In most cases, saliva tests can only pick up THC that’s been in the mouth for up to 24 hours. This means getting a mouthwash that will help with detoxification is essential for you if you want to pass your mouth swab drug test in less than a day before the drug test. We will show you how it can be very easy and possible to pass a saliva drug test using the best detox mouthwash, irrespective of how long THC has stayed in your saliva.
The best detox mouthwash to pass oral drug test
|Recommendation||Why do we recommend it?||Where can I buy?|
|Stinger Detox Mouthwash 2 Fluid Ounce||Check Price on Amazon|
|Ultra Wash Toxin-cleansing Mouthwash||Check Price on Amazon|
|High Voltage Saliva Cleanser Mouthwash Mouth-body Detox Cleanser||Check Price on Amazon|
|Magnum Detox Saliva Cleansing Instant Acting Mouthwash||Check Price on Amazon|
|Toxin Rid Rescue Detox Mouthwash|
What is a mouth swab or saliva drug test?
A mouth swab drug test is the same as a saliva drug test. This is a test that generally looks for drug residues left in the mouth as a result of taking a drug orally. That generally means smoking, vaping or eating. Drugs that are injected or taken in any way other than orally will not be easy to detect through a saliva drug test. But it should be noted that it is still possible for some of them to pass into the saliva. Drug metabolites that pass from the blood into the saliva are generally not in high enough concentrations to be detected by a saliva test. A drug test with mouth swabs generally looks for drug residues that have been taken orally within hours of taking the drug.
How does a saliva drug test work?
Saliva drug tests are slightly different to other drug tests in that they all have a different screening method for different chemical compounds. For example, urine tests screen for both THC and its primary metabolite, THC-COOH, which usually stays around longer than THC. Saliva drug tests and mouth swab tests only screen for THC or Delta-9 THC, which is a good thing.
While weed can enter the saliva through smoking or even just exposure to smoke, it’s metabolites are only present when weed has been smoked or ingested. During a saliva drug test, the psychoactive elements in your saliva can be used to detect a wide range of substances in your saliva, these substances have different detection times as shown in the table below. For an occasional user, weed can be detected 1 to 3 days after last use, while for chronic users, weed can be detected 1 to 29 days after last use.
At the saliva drug test, a swab is inserted into your mouth, a sample of saliva is collected for testing. It takes a matter of minutes to perform the test.
Below is a table for detection times of THC marijuana and other types of drugs:
Saliva Drug Test Detection Times for THC and other Prohibited drugs
|Drug||Duration of Appearance||Duration of non-detection|
|Marijuana||5 – 10 mins||6 – 24 days|
|Cocaine||5 – 10 mins||1 – 3 days|
|Opiates||5 – 10 mins||1 – 2 days|
|Methamphetamine||5 – 10 mins||1 – 3 days|
|Amphetamine||5 – 10 mins||1 – 3 days|
|Benzodiazepines||5 – 10 mins||1 – 3 days|
|Buprenorphine||5 – 10 mins||1 – 3 days|
|Oxycodone||5 – 10 mins||1 – 2 days|
|Barbiturates||5 – 10 mins||1 – 2 days|
|Phencyclidine||5 – 10 mins||1 – 3 days|
What does saliva detox mouthwash do?
A saliva detox mouthwash aims to detoxify any residue of active ingredients or drug metabolites in your mouth, tongue and saliva. Some pointers to consider:
- You can use it like a normal mouthwash but make sure you brush your teeth and tongue frequently before your drug test.
- It is safe to use, hence, efficient and reliable
- It gives you a fresher breath while getting rid of toxins in your saliva
- You cannot be caught because you do not walk around with mouthwashes
- Most of this detoxification mouth rinse is odorless so it cannot be detected.
- It clears your saliva of any trace of a drug within minutes of usage before any mouth swab drug test.
- It is odorless therefore cannot be detected by smell
- It takes less than 30 seconds to use but the effect lasts more than 30 mins, of course, a drug test can only take less than 5 mins to carry out.
How does a saliva detox mouthwash work?
From the drug test detection times table above, it can be seen that different chemicals from different drugs can stay inside the mouth for different periods of time. A saliva detox mouthwash works because it is specially formulated to neutralize the saliva, cleansing all the chemicals and toxins from your saliva to help pass a mouth swab test or saliva drug test. Depending on the particular product, a saliva detox mouthwash can remove chemical traces of opiates, cocaine, marijuana, alcohol, and amphetamine residues.
How to pass a saliva drug test
We write in-depth about how to pass a saliva drug test. Here are a few pointers from the article:
- Always try to find out when the saliva drug test or mouth swab is going to be conducted. Obviously it will be tricky if the test is conducted randomly
- Remember that generally speaking, THC only stays around for less than 48 hours. So abstinence and not taking weed for 2 days can pretty much help you pass the test.
- Eat something high in fat – Yes you heard that right. This is the amazing thing about chemistry. THC is lipid soluble meaning that it sticks to fat molecules really well. So theoretically, eating fatty foods can help draw out THC chemicals from inside your mouth
- Increase your fluid intake to flush the system. Please drink plenty of water!
- Always brush your teeth – at least twice daily or four times before your saliva drug test. You can read how to brush your teeth properly and how to brush your tongue properly so as to be on the safe side.
- If time is short, make sure you use a saliva detox mouthwash and follow the instructions!
- You can also consider testing yourself before going in for the actual mouth swab drug test. Try rinsing your mouth with a detox mouthwash and then using a swab drug test kit to see if it works for you. They come with their own DIY instructions and are very simple to administer on yourself. This will help give you peace of mind and confidence about the upcoming oral drug test.
An example of a testing kit is the 10 Panel Saliva Drug Screening Kit below.
There are many types of mouthwash for drug swab tests in the market but you need to make sure you buy the right one for your circumstances.
Now, I am going to show you the best saliva detox mouthwash to pass an oral drug test and how to pass it any day and any time.
5 Best Detox Mouthwash in 2021 to Pass Saliva Drug Test
The most tested and trusted detox mouthwash for a saliva drug test is Stinger Detox Mouthwash 2 Fluid Ounce (The most popular saliva detox mouthwash) followed closely by Ultra Wash toxin detox Mouthwash. Just have any of this in your pockets at all times and you can pass any unexpected drug test 10 to 15 minutes after using it. It clears your saliva from any trace of toxins within that period for a successful test.
Stinger Mouthwash has been the best and most effective detox mouthwash for passing saliva tests. Stinger detox mouthwash has been tested on marijuana, meth, nicotine, and alcohol. To pass an oral drug test for cocaine using stinger detox mouthwash, it is best to abstain from the cocaine usage for at least 3 days before the test. It works within minutes to cleanse your saliva of any drug toxins. The mouthwash is easy to use and has a unique formulation with an appealing flavor to go with. It has so far been the most effective method to bypass the saliva drug test. This detox mouthwash helps to remove traces of drugs found in your saliva a few hours before a mouth swab test. The reviews for Stinger Detox Mouthwash have been very positive! According to verifiable reports of people who have used Stinger Detox Mouthwash, you can successfully pass a saliva drug test within 2 hours of cleaning your mouth with stinger detox mouth rinse only.
- Can be swallowed without side effects
- Does not contain alcohol (alcohol-free)
- It comes in a 2 oz bottle making it easily portable and accessible anywhere and anytime
- Provides 100% toxin-free saliva for up to 30 minutes after using it
- Taste can be overpowering and strong
How to use Stinger Toxin Cleansing Mouthwash
- Use stinger detox mouthwash a few minutes before the swab test, take the detoxifying mouthwash in small sips and let the liquid rinse for a minute.
- After you swish it around your mouth for at least a minute, you can spit it out. This mouthwash is alcohol-free; therefore it will not burn your mouth. It is also safe to swallow.
- Repeat the entire procedure until you have used up the entire bottle.
- Perform the cotton swab test immediately after the bottle is empty. The product is most effective within 30 minutes of using a detoxifying mouthwash.
- Also do not brush your teeth and do not eat or drink anything after using this stinger detox mouthwash.
By popular demand and usage, Ultra Klean popularly known as Ultra Wash detox mouthwash is another saliva cleansing mouthwash that works best for drug tests. Just a simple swish and spit and you are good to go. You can purchase the mouthwash individually (check price on Amazon) or you can purchase a multi pack which includes saliva testing kits (check price on Amazon)
- Instant mouth wash clean
- Effectively cleanses toxins from your mouth
- Easy to use.
- This Ultra Wash mouthwash comes with a super Saliva Test kit for your home use. It is very effective as you can test yourself within the confines of your home before going for the test.
- Cannot be swallowed
- Bad taste
How to use Ultra-Wash Toxin-Cleansing Mouthwash
- Shake the bottle gently to ensure the ingredients are spread evenly.
- Simply place half of the contents of the bottle in your mouth, swish around for about two minutes and spit out (do not swallow).
- Repeat the process with the other half of the mouthwash and avoid any other drink or food until you are done with your test.
This High Voltage Saliva-Cleanse Mouthwash removes all toxins from your saliva for up to one hour. High Voltage Mouthwash can fit in your pocket and is always ready to use. Simply use minutes prior to your saliva drug test time.
- Quick and easy to use
- Can easily fit in pocket
- Can last up to 1 hour
- Cannot be swallowed
How to use High Voltage Saliva Cleanser Mouthwash
- Shake well before use
- Use minutes before test
- Sip small amounts and swish in mouth for at least one minute and then spit out.
- Repeat until the entire bottle is completely used.
Another saliva detox mouthwash worthy of mention is the magnum detox saliva cleansing mouthwash. Not too popular but very effective as a standalone product.
Toxins can accumulate in your saliva. Magnum mouthwash is designed to cleanse your saliva of all toxins. This oral detox mouthwash is effective immediately and it effectively cleanses saliva of toxins for 45 minutes.
- Remains active for 45minutes
- Instant acting
- Magnum sized – largest saliva cleansing mouthwash in the detox industry
- Bad taste
How to use Magnum Detox Saliva Cleaning Mouthwash
- Swish mouthwash around the mouth for 3 minutes.
- Spit out when completed.
- Do not swallow.
- Repeat until you have used the entire bottle of mouthwash.
- Do not brush teeth immediately after using mouthwash.
- Do not drink anything after using.
5. Toxin Rid Rescue Detox Mouthwash
Toxin Rid Rescue Wash Mouthwash is a special formulated detox mouthwash which allows you to rid your mouth of detectable drug toxins left in the mouth moments before a drug test. The petit 1-ounce bottle makes it easy to hide or dispose of moments before the oral test.
- Quick and easy to use
- Effective and reliable results
- Bad taste
Briny metallic smell
How to Use Toxin Rid Rescue Detox Mouthwash
- Within few minutes before your oral drug test, put one-third of the Toxin Rid Rescue Wash Mouthwash in your mouth, swish and hold for three minutes, then spit it out.
- Gently repeat the procedure two more times.
- Following the rinsing procedure, use six breath mints of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions on Detox Mouthwashes
How long does Saliva detox mouthwash last?
The duration may vary from product to product, but the average time for a saliva detox mouthwash to last is around 10 hours and upwards. This mouthwash has the power of masking toxins such as niacin in your blood for an extended period of time. The manufacturer of Stinger Detox Mouthwash claims that its product will work for 48 hours and the best time to test is within an hour and a half of using the product.
How much is Saliva detox mouthwash?
The cost of saliva detox mouthwashes are cheap and affordable. You won’t need to break the bank to get a drug free oral system. Depending on the product you purchase, a single 1-2oz bottle can cost between $13 to $20. And a pack of 3 bottles with saliva drug tests included can cost up to $80. Visit the above links for prices for each specific product as prices may vary depending on whether or not there is a sale or the manufacturer chooses to change their pricing.
What ingredients are in detox mouthwash?
Most saliva detox mouthwash contains the following ingredients: sodium benzoate; Additives: Allantoin, Glycerin, Ethyl alcohol, Xylitol, Citric Acid Hydrate, Sodium Citrate Hydrate, Caramel Colorant, Glycyrrhiza Inflata Root Extract, etc.
Can I buy my own saliva drug test to see if detox mouthwash works?
You can most certainly buy your own saliva drug test or mouth swab test to check if the detox mouthwash was effective. Some detox mouthwash kits come with a saliva drug test but you can always just buy them separately as well. Some listed below for your reference
|Drug Test||Why we recommend this one?||Where to buy?|
|5 Panel Instant Oral Cube Swab Drug Test Kit||Check Price on Amazon|
|15 Pack [email protected] Marijuana (THC) Single Panel Drug Tests Kit||Check Price on Amazon|
|5 Pack [email protected] 12 Panel Instant Drug Test Kits||Check Price on Amazon|
|5 Pack Areta 14 Panel Drug Test Cup Kit with Temperature Strip||Check Price on Amazon|
|5 Pack Identify Diagnostics 12 Panel Drug Test Cup with BUP||Check Price on Amazon|
|[24-Pack] Marijuana THC Drug Test Kit||Check Price on Amazon|
|PrimeScreen – 14 Panel Multi Drug Test Cup||Check Price on Amazon|
How can I make my own detox mouthwash at home?
Making your own saliva detox mouthwash can be another option. One strong benefit is you will know exactly what is in the mouthwash, especially for those with any allergies. Hydrogen peroxide solution has been proven to adulterate your saliva in order to get a negative result in an oral drug test. The ratio is one part hydrogen peroxide for two parts of water (i.e 10ml hydrogen peroxide for every 20ml of water). Homemade detox mouthwash works for a short period of time unlike the products listed above and should be used a few minutes before a drug test.
To prepare an effective homemade detox mouthwash at home, you need the following ingredients ready
- 10 ml of Hydrogen peroxide (readily purchased from a local drug store or pharmacist)
20 ml of distilled water
A bottle with a sealed lid
Steps to make your own saliva detox mouthwash
- Get a glass bowl and pour in the 20 ml of distilled water
- Dilute 10ml of the peroxide solution into the water
- Pour in the solution into a bottle with a good lid that seals the bottle
- Use the solution to rinse your mouth 2 minutes before a drug test but for better results, always use it days before your test.
NOTE: Do not swallow the product
Remember: A strong concentration of this hydrogen peroxide solution may cause irritation in your mouth. Use the solution to rinse your mouth for two minutes and do not swallow the product. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME IF YOU ARE UNSURE.
When do employers use swab drug tests?
There are different situations when employers use mouth swab drug tests. It could be Pre-Employment, Post Accident, Random, Periodic, Reasonable Suspicion, or Other (3). These incidences of when employers do drug screening are outlined below:
Pre-Employment: These are conducted prior to hiring someone to prevent hiring individuals who are using illicit drugs and substances. They usually occur after a conditional job offer is made to the job applicant. It is important that you stop drug use several days prior to job applications to reduce the risk of a positive test which may cost you the job. If you fail to produce a negative test for the drug screening, then you will NOT be hired. Be mindful that some employers may perform a random drug test on employees during their probationary period. Some states however, restrict this process.
Post-Accident: In circumstances where there has been an accident involving property damage or personal injury, drug testing may be performed on the individuals involved to check if they were under the influence or effects of drugs and/or alcohol.
Reasonable Suspicion: This type of testing can be at the discretion of management and managers, so there should be very clearly defined and consistent definitions of what situations, behaviour, grounds would warrant a drug test on an individual.
Random: Random drug testing is performed without notice or warning. Testing is performed randomly usually via a computer generated random pool of employees to ensure that it is indeed random and that each person of the workforce population has an equal chance of being selected for testing, regardless of whether that person was recently tested or not.
Periodic: Periodic drug testing is usually performed with notice and announcements in advance. Some employers use periodic drug tests on an annual basis and these periodic drug tests are often more accepted and preferred because employees can prepare for them by stopping drug use several days beforehand.
Other: Other situations for employers to perform drug tests can also exist so be sure to cover your bases when it comes to saliva drug tests. For example, follow up or post rehabilitation tests are performed periodically after an employee returns to the workplace upon their completion of a drug or alcohol rehabilitation program. It is often performed without notice and at random over a period of time usually specified in the company’s drug policy. Another example is blanket testing, where everyone in the workplace is tested without notice and at random rather than just a randomly selected portion of employees.
What are the different methods of drug testing?
Other than oral mouth swab drug tests and saliva drug tests, there are a range of other methods of drug testing that you should be aware about. They include urine tests, breath tests, blood tests, hair tests and sweat tests. These are outlined below:
Urine: A urine test can show the presence or absence of drug residues in an individual’s urine. Usually the drug leaves residues that remain in the body for some time even after the effects of the drug have worn out.
Breath: An alcohol breath test or breath alcohol test is the most common test for finding out how much alcohol is currently in a person’s body system. The test is performed by blowing into a breath alcohol device, and the device produces a number, known as the Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC), which shows the level of alcohol in the blood at the time the test was taken. The legal limit for BAC is 0.08 for driving has been set in all states.
Blood: A blood test is one of the most thorough and accurate ways to measure the actual amount of alcohol or drugs in the blood at that current point in time.
Hair: Believe it or not, our hair can surprisingly provide a comprehensive history of drug use going back as far as 90 days. Similar to urine testing, hair testing does not provide evidence of a person’s current impairment by the alcohol or drug, but rather only gives an indication of past use of a specific drug. Hair testing cannot be used to detect for alcohol use and it is the least invasive form of drug testing.
Saliva: Saliva tests are one of the most effective ways to determine current use and impairment of a drug or alcohol. It can be quite accurate at detecting specific drug substances such as marijuana, cocaine and methamphetamines.
Sweat: This type of testing involves putting a large skin patch on the individual’s skin for a period of time. The patch is then tested for drugs It is quite easy to use but it isn’t often used by employers. It is most commonly used for situations of compliance and probation.